Sunday, November 27, 2011

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

Being gluten-free I eat a lot of quinoa, I mean A LOT!  One of my favorite creations was inspired by an orzo salad that my Aunt Susan always made.  I loved this salad and missed it once I became gluten-free so I created a version of my own with a few minor changes.  I make this at least once a month.  It can be served as a side dish or as a light main course.  If you are looking for something a little hardier as a main dish, adding some garbanzo beans may do the trick.  I usually eyeball the ingredients and used estimates below.  Feel free to dial up or down slightly on the measurements.  This time I am actually including my own picture too.



Serves 6

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa (I use golden for this recipe)
1 1/2 cups chopped raw spinach (if basil is in season I do half basil, half spinach)
1/2 cup diced raw red pepper OR roasted red pepper (again depending on season)
1/2 of a red onion diced
1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1/3 cup sliced kalamata olives
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
1/4 cup pine nuts
drizzle of olive oil
drizzle of balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients.  Toss to combine.  Tastes best served cold and even better served the following day!

No comments:

Post a Comment