Monday, November 7, 2011

Berry good smoothie

With Thanksgiving and lots of heavy (but yummy!) food on the way, I thought I would share one of my "on the lighter side" recipes.  After experimenting with creating a good tasting (and healthy!) dairy free smoothie and getting some advice from expert smoothie makers (thanks Lauren!), this version was my landing point.  A lot of times I use what I have on hand and substitutions are often made.  For example, I might throw in chard or kale instead of spinach or chia seeds instead of flax.  You could also use a different dairy free beverage instead of almond.  I just happen to prefer almond to the others.  I like making these this time of year because I love berries.  Since the fresh ones are not local and very expensive, I buy them frozen which works better for smoothies anyway.


Serves 1

Ingredients:
1/2 medium banana
1 heaping scoop hemp protein powder (or protein powder of choice)
1 heaping tablespoon ground flax seed
1 1/2  cups frozen berries
1 cup fresh spinach or kale (or other greens)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon honey (optional)

Mix everything together in a blender until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment