Sunday, October 14, 2012

Thai steak stir-fry

I love making dishes with ingredients that are in season.  They taste so much better!  This recipe follows my "I won't make it if it takes more than 20 minutes rule" and is great in the summer when green beans, broccoli and basil are all in season.  This recipe was adapted from Everyday Food by Martha Stewart.  I don't usually have fish sauce in the house so I sub out for gluten-free soy sauce (Tamari).  This recipe is great with broccoli in place of the green beans and could also be served with fresh grape tomatoes (halved) thrown in the last minute of cooking.  To make this dinner easier, cook the rice ahead of time.




Serves 4

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon sunflower oil (or another high-heat oil)
3/4 Pound skirt steak
1 Pound green beans (or broccoli or a combo), trimmed
4 Tablespoons minced, peeled fresh ginger
4 Cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons fish sauce or Tamari
1 Cup fresh basil leaves, torn if large
1/2-1 Cup baby or grape tomatoes, halved
1-2 Cups cooked brown rice or grain of choice for serving

In a wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium-high.  Add steak and cook, stirring until browned (about 5 min).  Transfer steak to a plate.  Add green beans (and/or broccoli) , ginger, and garlic to the wok and stir 5 minutes more or until green beans are crisp-tender.  Return beef and juices to pan and add basil and Tamari or fish sauce (and tomatoes if you would like).  Cook one minute more.  Serve over grain of choice for serving.

1 comment:

  1. I try to cook your recipe and I think this is the best recipe for me because I cook it perfect. Do you also have a stir fried chicken because I can't make that recipe on my own.

    ReplyDelete